When was the last time you walked into Dollar Tree? I walked into Dollar Tree and was so shocked by all the items that they sell. They have currently expanded there store and added so much more to there shelves. Walking into a Dollar Tree and seeing a freezer with a variety of frozen foods, then seeing several shelves with food items from can goods, condiments, quick and easy meals, snacks, candy and so much more. They have name brand food items such as Kraft, Old El Paso, Oreos, Domino, and others.
As I walk the aisles in Dollar Tree, I receive a text message asking me to make a cake. Of course, I text back yes because I love to bake. I also ask when you need and what kind. I’m waiting to get a reply back, and it finally comes in I need it Friday if possible and how about trying that Lemon Blueberry Cake. I excitedly reply right back Friday is plenty of time even though its a day notice.
I had never made a Lemon Blueberry Cake, so this was something new to me. I’m always up for a challenge I then proceed to pull up the recipe. I look at the recipe I realize I don’t have all the ingredients at my house. I did not want to go to the grocery store so I look at the food section and I was able to find all the items I would need for the cake. I walk to the front of the store to get a basket and go back to the food section to start picking up the items I need. All ingredients for the cake can be purchased at Dollar Tree.
For my cake, I purchased the majority of the items at Dollar Tree some I did not buy there because I knew I did not have them at home. But all ingredients are at the Dollar Tree. Even if by chance the store doesn’t have an item other items can be substituted in its place.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
• 2 Eggs
• 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
• 1 Cup Sour Cream (8oz)
• 1/2 Cup Light Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
• 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
• 1/4 Tsp Salt
• 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
• 2 Tsp Baking Powder
• 1 Medium Lemon Zest and Juice, divided
• 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
• 16 Oz Fresh Blueberries **
• Powdered Sugar to dust the top optional
1. Lightly butter a 9-inch Springform or Bundt pan and line the bottom with parchment. Preheat Oven to 375˚F.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cake:
1. Beat 2 eggs and 1 cup sugar with whisk attachment on high speed 5 min, or until light in color and thick.
2. Add 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt and whisk on low speed until well combined.
3. Whisk together the 2 cups flour with 2 tsp baking powder then add to batter 1/3 at a time, whisking to incorporate with each addition (DO NOT OVERMIX). Finally, add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 Tbsp zest.
4. Rinse blueberries and drain well. In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with 1/2 Tbsp corn starch and 1 tsp lemon juice, stirring until well combined and no dry white cornstarch remains.
5. Pour half of batter into prepared springform pan and spread evenly. Top with half of the blueberries. Spread with remaining batter then sprinkle the rest of the blueberries evenly over the top, pushing them slightly into the batter (about halfway). Bake at 375˚F for 45 to 55 min (mine was perfect at 55 min), or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake rest in the pan 15-20 min then remove ring and cool until room temp or just warm. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.
• 2 Tsp Baking Powder= 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda plus 1 C Buttermilk or Yogurt
• 1 Medium Lemon Zest and Juice, divided=2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
• 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch= 1Tbsp All Purpose Flour
You can bake a cake from scratch out of items founded at the Dollar Tree. It is EASY and INEXPENSIVE!
All The Best Desserts,